Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Laying a Foundation

My incredible family and friends!

I can't believe another week has passed by!! The weeks are passing by like days and the days are passing by like minutes. It's so insane! I wish it wasn't going by so fast. I feel like I just started and now I'm
getting close to a year.... It's so sad. But anyway, let's not talk about that! This week was super good! It was probably one of the best weeks of my mission! Haha, I feel like I say that every week, but hey they just keep getting better and better! We did some hard core laying of foundation this week. Like I said last week, we didn't really have any investigators when the transfer started, so me and Elder Nielson just went to work! Literally talking to everyone! And when I say everyone, I mean not a single person can walk by without getting talked to. And we have seen so many miracles it has been awesome! This past week we found 20 new investigators and we have got some super high hopes! We are also working with a lot of part member families because basically they are all part member families. The branch here is seriously incredible. There are very few members, but they are so strong and so loving. I gave a talk this past Sunday and they all made sure to welcome me to the area and tell me good job! They are super willing to help with the missionary work and I love that!

Like I said, we have seen some awesome miracles this past week trying to find people, but there is one that stuck out that I would like to share. It was almost 9 o’ clock, and it is advised that we don't really walk the streets at night, but we felt like we needed to go look up one more person. We got there and she wasn't home. As we started to walk back to the car we noticed a super huge black man sitting on these steps. It kind of looked a little creepy to be honest. No street lights, pitch black and just us and this guy. Well, we passed him, but we got a specific feeling that we should go back and talk to him. So we did. Well, as we started talking to him he began to explain something that hit me really deep. He said "I have seen two white kids come by and knock that same lady’s door for years. Only once have they ever talked to me. I was excited to see whether or not you guys would pick and choose who you wanted to share the gospel with." I've thought about that every day since that happened - do we pick and choose who we are sharing the gospel with? I know I have at times. It's hard because some people just don't look like future bishops or relief society presidents, but that is not our place to judge them, it's our Heavenly Father’s. Our job is just to open the door for everybody and then they can choose whether or not they want to walk through it.

I'm so lucky! My companion is so cool! I have never had so much fun, but worked so hard! He is going to be my friend forever! He is from West Haven Utah, which is by Ogden I guess. He has been in the mission the same time as Elder Frei, so just one more transfer than me! Haha, he is a super dope football player and super hilarious! Haha, oh, and the hardest worker I know. So I hope we get to stay with each other for a while!

My thoughts on the talk by Elder Oaks: Opposition in all things... Haha, how true is that. We were talking to a youth in our Ward about this just the other day. Specifically we were talking about missions. We explained about how there has never been a day when we have just thought to ourselves “wow missionary work is easy”. It's always going to be hard. Good things don't come with ease. I love when Elder Oaks says "None of us is exempt. Opposition permits us to grow toward what our Heavenly Father would have us become." Yeah, some moments will be hard but they are worth it in the end!

I love you all! I hope you have a great week! The church is true!
Love Elder Brown
Caiden and his new companion, Elder Niellson

The new apartment!


No comments:

Post a Comment